6/22/09

God And Religions

“He who possesses art and science has religion; he who does not possess them, needs religion.”
~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

I knew I haven't been to church in a very long time, I haven't even say a prayer these days, but that doesn't mean I didn't believe in any God. That doesn't mean I'm into this godlessness situation. I do have a God, though I can't say what's my God looks like. My encounter with God didn't exist in any level of humanity and physical situation (say, like witnessing a miracle, or praying to a statue). No. my God exist in a very reasonable way—for I'm myself, a logical person—not a devout believer. Unlike many religious practitioner, I won't fall into any childlike myth and water-turn-to-wine bullshit. My God needs to be logical, coherent, and make sense. And how do I find God in my empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, scientific personal world? I found my God as an idea and imagination. Let me enlightened you on how I always found God in every small details of my logical life. God needs not to be big, God needs not to be omnipotent and almighty. He isn't the ruler of the world, He's our servant. I'm going into this Wittgenstein-like investigations, now.

* I'm a self-taught in visual arts, I learnt many things from pencil drawing to digital imaging--I knew the theory of color spectrum. I knew what you'll have when you mixed every color available in world, you got the color of white. It's objective and empirically tested, white is the sum of all colors in the whole universe. Now, is that including the color of black? No. There's no such thing in this universe known as 'black' it didn't objectively exist. Black is an illusion. It's a condition when there are no colors. The absence of color. And did everyone believes in it? Yes. Everyone believes that there are such thing as 'black' even though it didn't exist.

** Have you ever feel the cold? The condition when the temperature dropped too low, makes your body shiver and freeze? But, what is exactly 'cold'? Again, just like 'black', there's no such thing in this world as 'cold'. It's only a label we gave for the absence of heat. We knew and we can measure lots of heat, even 'more heat', 'superheat', 'mega heat',or no heat… But we don’t have anything called Cold. We can hit 458 Degrees below Zero which is no heat, but we can’t go any further after that. No cold following after that. There is no such thing as Cold. Cold is only a label we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, just the absence of it. But, again, we do believe in something as 'cold', don't we?

*** Many concepts in my major, psychology involved non-objective things. Terms like, 'memories', 'dreams', 'mind', 'imagination' are never exist in the objective world such as ours. Yet, we do believe the image flashes back from our childhood as something actual and relevant. We can tell exactly our vivid imagination to our friend when we abstracting something in our head. We can tell it. Objectively. Even though you can't touch memories, you can't hold up imagination. We only experienced it, but we can't touch it with our five senses--and still, we believe it.

Those are just some little illustrations on how I can always find God in my daily life. A God that is entirely coherent and relevant, a God that is logical and explainable, even though it wasn't there at all. My God perhaps just like 'black', or 'cold', my God perhaps like 'mind' or 'memories', I can never explain it, but I do believe in its existence (or lack thereof).
Just because I'm not seeing something, doesn't mean it isn't there. I inhale oxygen everytime I breathe, I know that I breathe air even though I'm not seeing the exact matter. My God isn't a measurable things, not a discrete variables, not a black-white duality, not heaven-hell or good-bad. My God can't be named, depicted or touched. I can't even pray for him, for he has no ear. He won't help me, for he has no feelings. My God perhaps like a continuous variable: it's hard to distinguish Him from everything else, like a water pressure or humidity. My God didn't belong to any religion, I can't find him in Christianity, I can't find him in Islam, Jew, Buddhism, or else, my God belongs to art and science. He's up there for something unexplainable, something that haven't yet discovered, something void yet exist. My God is an artist, he can paint in black. My God is a scientist, he made up cold out of heat. My God is just an idea. An imagination. A belief. A deep faith. My God need not to be prayed for, sung for, hailed for, or sacrificed for. He needs only to be believed. That's all my God asks, and I do it. I don't need to be tied to any religion, for I already have art and science. And that's where my God belongs: I believe in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment